Skip to content

International Internships

Check out Advice from UT Student Anna Buccafuri. She completed an internship in Barcelona during the Summer 2018 Term:

All international internships are facilitated through International Programs.
If seeking academic credit, you will also work with Career Services.


HIRE-UT Internship FAQ:

Q: How do I get my internship approved for academic credit?
 This depends on your major and the internship that you are seeking. Schedule an appointment at OR stop in for Drop-In hours with the Assistant Director of Internships (contact career services for more details).

Q: Do students still have to come through the Office of Career Services if they don't want to earn academic credit for their internship?
 No. You do not have to complete any paperwork for a non-credit internship. However, we would be happy to assist you with your application materials (resume/cover letter) and interview strategies.

Q: How many hours do I need to work at my internship to earn academic credit?
 This varies a bit between departments across campus, but a good rule of thumb is about 5 hr/week = 1 credit. Refer to your Faculty Internship Coordinator for information specific to your major.

Q: What is the cost per credit hour for an approved internship for academic credit?
 Refer to financial aid for an official cost. The average is around $550 per credit hour.

Q: How does the internship process differ fro international and domestic students?
Overall the process is the same. There are only two main differences.
1.) International students will need to contact the International Programs Office to inquire about CPT eligibility and complete the necessary paperwork.
2.) International students MUST earn academic credit for their internships. 

Q: Duration of internships for academic credit? 
 The caries a bit between departments, but on average: Summer (12 weeks) Fall/Spring (14 weeks)

The deadlines to apply are the same as those for standard semester/summer abroad programs: October 1 for Winter/Spring and March 1 for Summer/Fall. 
  • If seeking UT academic credit, you must complete the Internship Agreement Form PRIOR to going abroad. The form is available on SpartanWeb under the Academics tab, click on "Forms and Information" to access. 
  • Take your time to look at programs through our search on Studio Abroad.
  • You can filter your search by selecting "International Internships" under Program Area. 
  • Do your research!
  • Apply through Studio Abroad by the deadline. 
  • Work with IPO on the application process.
  • Once you've applied and been given an international internship offer, you should contact Kelly Allgeier, Assistant Director of Internship Programs, in Career Services. She will facilitate the academic approval process for your internships and can be reached at (Note: You must have all of your paperwork completed prior to going abroad. If you do not submit your paperwork and register for the course before the add/drop period is over, you will need to file a late add petition for your internship.)
Each department has an internship coordinator. If you are curious who the coordinator is for your field of study please refer to the list here

As always, you can review our Education Abroad FAQs and see availability for walk-ins and appointments here